Monday 19 January 2015

VSO Weekend

This week has been somewhat hectic, so I haven't really had the chance to write about my fantastic training weekend with VSO last week.

It was honestly one of the most informative training sessions I've been to, and our trainer Joe was absolutely brilliant. He seemed to have a lot of life experience and I think it made us all feel at ease.

The training covered aspects of how to prepare ourselves for cultural differences, coping strategies whilst we're in a foreign land, development and what it means, how to prepare ourselves medically, the programme and how it will run before, during and after our placement, conflict management and poverty. We honestly covered so much, but I didn't feel overwhelmed at all.
If anything it made more even more excited to make a difference to the livelihoods of the Nepalese communities. I'm also really excited to educate people on sexual and reproductive health. It's not just about using a condom to prevent STD's or unwanted pregnancies, but also topics like nutrition during pregnancy, menstrual hygiene and discouraging women from hard Labour post delivery.

And... I got to meet most members of my team! They are absolutely lovely people, and it's good to know we're all on the same page. Go Team Lamjung!!!

Alice x

No comments:

Post a Comment